If you would like to improve your smile but feel self-conscious about having visible ‘train-track’ braces, then hidden, also known as lingual braces, could be ideal for you. Lingual braces are suitable for people of all ages. The braces are placed behind the teeth so no one will know that you are wearing them.
These hidden braces are 100% customised to the shape of each individual tooth, will move your teeth to the required position and are created by state-of-the-art technology.
Advantages of lingual braces
- The braces cannot be seen as they are fixed to the insides of your teeth.
- Braces are individually designed and produced using computer technology based on the shape of your teeth. This customisation helps your orthodontist offer you treatment that is as precise and comfortable.
- Minimal discomfort and speech interference.
- No risk of decalcification or damage to the front tooth surface.
- Special custom made archwires are precisely programmed.
How are lingual braces fitted?
- The brace is custom made for each patient to maximise comfort and ensure precise results. A very accurate impression is taken of the teeth and sent to the laboratory to make your bespoke brace. The wires are robotically formed by computer to effect precise movement of the teeth.
- Your orthodontist will place the customised brackets by bonding them behind each tooth towards the tongue side of your teeth. Using elastic bands, we will engage the archwires to the attachments and connect them. The connection will create gentle, persistent pressure and will begin to move your teeth, helping them align correctly.
- Once your braces are fitted, we will continue seeing you about every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on your specific needs. During these appointments, your orthodontist will adjust the braces and wires. We will also monitor the overall health of your teeth and gums.